Prepping for a Summer with Toddlers
Summers can be soooo long when you have a toddler and it is hot outside. It is important to prepare for the summer ahead.You want them to have fun, but you also don’t want to lose your sanity trying. I have gathered some toddler must haves and essentials that I have found make getting through a summer with a toddler more bearable, and so much more fun!
As a stay at home mom myself, being home with your toddler can get pretty repetitive. In fact, I have had this conversation with all of my friends with toddlers and they have agreed that after a while it can feel like you’re reliving the same day over and over again. Summer is meant to be a time for popsicles, and water fun, and memories. I think we can all agree that summer time was the best when we were growing up. We want the same for our own kiddos.
Toddler Must Haves for the Summer
“This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.”
- Your toddler needs a floaty. We practically live at the pool in the summer, especially when I am pregnant. Here is my favorite floaty life jacket. I love knowing they are secure. Although your child may have a life jacket floaty, they still need to be closely watched.
- Swim Diapers! These worked great!
- Swimsuit! I love the ones from old navy! For Girls. For Boys.
- What is summer without popsicles? These are my hands down favorite popsicles, I love the flavors. Green apple is my fave!
- Popsicle Molds! So maybe you aren’t a huge fan of my favorite popsicles or maybe as an activity with your toddler you want to make some popsicles. These are great popsicle molds, because they are easy to use, the silicone molding makes it easy to remove the popsicle and clean!
- Chalk! That is always a fun activity for toddlers to get outside and let them do what toddlers love to do! Make messes, they can write all over the place, and it isn’t on your walls! Love the assorted colors on this chalk!
- Sunscreen, seems like a duh, but I have to include this, because I forget this one all the time! This sunscreen is vegan, paraben free, gluten free, and hypoallergenic.
- Pool toys! If you are going to the pool all the time, your toddler is going to want to have toys to play with! Beach Ball, stacking cups(my daughter loves these, and so do all of our friends kids), and a super soaker.
- Water safe shoes! They are great for splash pads so they can run around in! I love these ones for my daughter, because she can wear them out and about as well as on the way to pool! I love these ones for girls and love these ones for boys!
- Snacks! You should always carry snacks every where you go this summer. They literally are life savers for moms. It can be really exhausting being at the pool in the heat, or outside in general with the heat. Having snacks are great for preventing or delaying a major temper tantrum. A few of my daughters favorite snacks, that are easy to throw in your bag are Applesauce on the go packs, Fruit snacks, and cliff bars for kids.
- Kid sized lawn chair! Perfect for fourth of July, outside events, and any other things you can think of! I know my child loves having her own seat to sit in.
- Bug Spray! If you are going to do outside events, such as camping, and barbecuing, you have to have bug spray. Here is a kid safe bug spray.
You are ALL Set for an Awesome Summer with your Toddler!
Having a toddler is so much fun, but is also a lot of work! Being prepared for the summer events so that you can be spontaneous and have what you need can make the difference in a horrible experience versus a memory that will be cherished. I went into motherhood with the mindset that there isn’t anything I can’t do now that I have a child, I just need to do things differently. Differently meaning, preparing more, and carrying a bit more.
I hope that this helped you gather a list of things you need or even fill in the holes where you may be missing a few things! Also, I would love to know what you have found to be summer must haves for your baby, toddler, or child! Comment below what you couldn’t live without!
Much Love, Mikaela Smith