My Birth Story

My Birth Story With Henry

I thought I was going to have Henry 2 weeks early..

**If you don’t like any details about delivery and things that happen to women during the close of their pregnancy, this may not be the post for you.**

When I was 37 weeks I had my dr. Appointment and was dilated to a 3, 70% effaced. My doctor was certain I would be having Henry that weekend or next week. I had my following appointment About 4 days later and was dilated to a 4, 70% effaced. I was asked if I was having any contractions or Braxton Hicks contractions. At that point I hadn’t really had anything that struck me as “I’m progressing.” He slightly swept my membranes (I hate how much that hurts) and wasn’t able to get a full sweep. At that appointment I had lost some mucus plug and had some bloody show. Following my appointment, I was having light contractions. Honestly I barely count them, because I had to really focus to notice them. Welp, nothing happened. I was trying everything to get this baby out at this point. Eating pineapple, spicy food, bouncing on a ball, squats, walking etc. it all exhausted me, and I was feeling pretty crappy from trying. I did feel like I was getting close. I had another appointment around 4 days later, I had made no progress. That was pretty disappointing, but I was okay. I stopped trying to get him out at that point and just tried to rest and take it easy.

Baby Day ( for real this time)

Another 4ish days later, I had my next appointment (I was 39 weeks and 3 days). I was getting checked and my doctor looked at me surprised and said “Wow, you have made a lot of progress.” I was honestly surprised, because that day I finally felt good. I asked him how much progress. He said “You are a 6, and 90% effaced. You are having your baby today. How fast can you be to the hospital? We need to get you started on antibiotics (I was B strep positive).” He then asked me if I was sure I wasn’t having contractions. Which I wasn’t really having any contractions. He said we were going to break my water around noon. (Since I wasn’t really contracting). I headed out and headed home to get my hospital bag and head over to the hospital. I called my husband, my parents and few of my friends to let them know what was going on. Tyler met me at the house and we headed over to drop Kenady off at Auntie Kirsten’s house. At this point I had started having some really light Braxton Hicks contractions. Nothing major. We got Kenady settled and then headed to the hospital. We got checked in, and they lead us back to the low intervention room (this room was for only people who were not getting epidurals). I had already decided I wanted to go naturally, but this room was the room I wanted to really help prevent myself from trying to get an epidural. Of course I could change rooms, if I changed my mind. We got settled in, and they started me on antibiotics at 12:30. An hour later they broke my water (that doesn’t feel good either, and neither do the gushes of water that continue happening every contraction). They checked me and I was a 7. After they broke my water I started having consistent contractions. They weren’t painful for me at all. I laid in the bed on my left side the whole rest of my labor. My husband was amazing through all of it. He laid with me and cuddled me for 3 hours and held me tight through my contractions, he made any pain go away. I focused on my breathing as they got more intense. I got checked again around 4:45, and I was at an 8. I called Kirsten and my mom and told them. They all laughed because I sounded so calm and fine. Which I did feel mostly fine. Shortly after I got off the phone, I went through transition. Which was the weirdest time for me. I started having contractions on top of each other. I was having no breaks in contractions. I started getting overwhelmed and crying to Tyler that everyone lied to me!! Everyone told me that there would be breaks, but I wasn’t having any breaks. They got really intense. I started saying super crazy, weird things at this time which had Tyler laughing so hard, which in turn made me start laughing. I know that sounds weird, but it was kinda funny the things I was saying. Things like “aye aye ayeeeeee” “babe babe babe” “they lied, they lied, they lied.” I basically started repeating everything I said in 3s or more. This went on for 5-10 minutes. Then things calmed back down and I was checked again, this time I was at an 8-9. She left the room, and all of the sudden I was having urges to push. The urges were unbelievably intense, unlike anything I had ever experienced before in my life. Tyler called the nurse back in and she started prepping the room and telling me to try to breathe and not push, because it could cause some bad tearing since I’m not ready yet. It was seriously so hard to resist the urge. I started to yell out at this point, because I couldn’t help but push on these contractions. They told me my doctor was in the parking lot and was rushing to get there. As soon as he got there, they moved me on the bed and told me they were ready for me. At this moment my contractions stopped for a minute, which was funny because I had been yelling out that I couldn’t hold it until this moment. Then the urge to push came and I held onto my husbands belt buckle and pushed as hard as I could for one long winded push. I could hear my husband say “keep pushing he’s almost here.” So I just kept pushing. One long push later and I had delivered him. He was here!! I couldn’t believe it. I had done it! I went naturally. I felt so accomplished. They put him on my chest and I was so relieved!

After birth troubles.

After delivery Henry, my doctor mentioned I was bleeding a good bit and that the nurse needed to keep an eye on it. About an hour after delivering Henry, I started to feel really tired. (I attributed that to just having pushed out a baby) I went to sleep and let my mother in law and husband hold and connect with Henry. Another hour had passed and it was time to move rooms, so my nurse came to mush on my tummy and have me go to the bathroom. (Having mobility post birth was one of my biggest reasons I wanted to go naturally) I got up and started walking to the bathroom, and started to pass out. I didn’t make it to the bathroom. They called another nurse in and helped walk me to my bed, since I was certain I would make it there just fine. Next thing I know I was on the floor again passed out. I was bleeding all over my legs. They moved me into my bed. I was fountaining blood out every time they mushed on my tummy. I was then given a shot of Pitocin in my butt. When that wasn’t doing enough, I received two full drip bags of Pitocin. I also had to have a suppository put in my butt! Before the second bag of Pitocin was started I had to have a catheter placed to help relieve my bladder since that could’ve been the cause for my lack of clotting. By the way, all of this was done without any pain meds after just delivering a baby!!! Not my best time. After four hours post delivery and no improvement in my bleeding, they moved me to another room to have a procedure done to see if I had any lacerations or left over placenta. I asked my husband to give me a priesthood blessing right beforehand. They gave me a medication that was not a numbing medicine, but more of a make-you-feel-drunk kind of medication to help take off the edge. The doctor checked me and found nothing. About an hour later my bleeding was completely normal and under control. They gave me some more medication that helps clot bleeding, and I was on the mend. The next morning I woke up feeling so much better. There was no explanation for why I was bleeding so much, but I am so glad that was all over! I remember being so pissed off, because I had to basically spend 4-6 hours away from Henry when he was born. Going naturally was incredibly empowering. After pushing Henry out I called my mom and best friend just telling them that I DID IT! I was so proud of myself for doing it. As much as I wish there wasn’t extensive bleeding involved and that I could’ve just enjoyed the precious first moments with Henry, I get to enjoy my time with him now. I am so glad everything went okay and that he arrived safe and sound.

3 Months Later

I am laughing at myself a bit, because it took me 3 months to finally finish typing out this experience, but I absolutely wanted to document it. It was such a big accomplishment for me and mostly good experience and memory that I will cherish forever. Henry is such a happy boy, and smiles when he sees me, which is more than I can ask for. Not to mention, he is SO BIG! I love my little chunkster.

Please follow and like us: